This series is all about the basics. I will talk about myself and my company so you can get to know me a bit better, but also about your interior design projects and ideas. Let’s start at the very beginning: how do you know if you need an interior designer’s help?
You might feel like you are really ready to start freshening up your home, whether you’ve just moved in, or have been there for awhile but have needed some time to settle in before deciding to make any changes. You want to make the space feel like it’s yours and feel functional for your lifestyle, but you’re not really sure where to start. Should you try to do everything yourself, or would your project benefit from the help of a professional interior designer?
Go through the list of questions below, and if you find yourself nodding, you really should consider hiring a professional designer or decorator to help handle the schedule of work and move the project along.
- Is every minute of every day filled with work, kids, and volunteer obligations? Do you feel as though you just can’t add one more thing to your busy life?
- When you look at fabrics and paint, are there so many choices that you just don’t know where to start?
- Did you start to redecorate your room and buy a few nice pieces, but just don’t know what to do with them?
- Have you seen pictures in magazines of the look you want but don’t know how to make it happen in your home?
- Are you and your living companion having trouble agreeing on what to do?
- Have you bought pieces through the years that you love and want to use, but are not sure how to make the pieces work together and incorporate them into an updated look?
- Do you own a house with character and don’t know how to decorate the home and remain true to its history?
- Are you finally at the stage where you want to coordinate the colors and style of your whole home but don’t know how to do it without having it seem boring?
- Do you want to do some major renovation involving moving walls or lighting fixtures?
- Do you have more money now and want to have your home reflect your step up in life?
- Have the kids moved out and you’ll be using your home more for business entertaining and need a more formal look than you’re comfortable with?
- Have you seen some pieces of furniture or fabrics that are available “to the trade only”?
- Do you need work done but are not sure how to find qualified workmen to do it?
- Do you want someone else to hassle with researching, ordering and installing all the elements?
- Do you have your heart set on some elaborate upholstery, bespoke soft furnishings or custom-designed cabinets?
- Do you want your home to be “one-of-a-kind,” unlike anything you’ve seen before?
- Do you have good taste but need someone else to put it all together?
- Does it seem as though all the stores have the same things and you want something unique?
- Do you have a particular look in mind but don’t know how to achieve it?
- Do you have architectural plans for a new house but want a pro to confirm that everything will look right and work for the way you live?
If you find that you can relate to any of these questions, you should consider consulting with, if not hiring, a designer or decorator to help you with your project. The insight of a professional can help you make the right decision the first time, rather than purchasing items haphazardly and making costly mistakes. You’ll find that it’s money well-spent!
Read more about my design work and check out my portfolio here!